What is the meaning and the psychology of the color yellow and how does it influence us? Is your favorite color yellow or do you drive a yellow car, if so what does that say about your motivations and personality?
Yellow is a primary color on the subtractive (RYB) and (CMY) color models.
Yellow is the brightest of all the colors, it’s the brightest color that the human eye can see.
When we see yellow we think of summer, sunshine, vacation and pleasant thoughts. It’s a happy color with many positive associations.
Like red, yellow is an attention grabber and an attractive color. It is also an energetic color. Sports drinks often have yellow in their packaging, it’s used to gain attention and also because it promotes feelings of energy.
Yellow is also connected to and encourages creativity, deep thinking and learning. Yellow is believed to stimulate the areas of the brain that are directly linked to logic and practical thinking.
Wearing Yellow or Owning a Yellow Car
If someone was to wear yellow clothes or buy a yellow car it could suggest that person has a naturally fun and playful personality. It could also suggest that they like to do things differently than other people. They don’t care so much about other people’s opinions or conforming to the norms of society. They don’t like to be conventional and they place high value on being unique. Possibly an extroverted personality that has a strong desire for attention and being noticed, or perhaps just a desire to express themselves and to be unique.
Personality if Yellow is a Favorite Color
- You are a creative person, you are often the one to come up with new ideas.
- You often have a cheerful personality, the fun person to be around.
- You make decisions quickly, often impulsive.
- You often put on a happy face, even in bad and stressful times.
- A perfectionist, which means you can be critical of yourself and others.
- You sometimes think you are above other people, with a tendency to be arrogant.
- You have a broad knowledge base, knowledge about many different subjects.
- You tend to give in to instant gratification, spending money, drinking or eating junk without thinking about the consequences.
- You have a lot of mental energy, quick thinker and a good puzzle solver.
Positive Influences & Traits
Yellow is linked to feelings of holidays and vacation. It encourages us to think of sun, beaches, fun, entertainment and relaxation.
It encourages energy and optimism. Yellow can improve morale and increase positive thinking.
Yellow promotes communication and openness, communication often means the difference between success and failure.
Clarity of thought
Analytical and methodical, helps with decision making and clear thinking.
There are studies that suggest a connection between the color yellow and creative thinking.
Negative Influences & Associations
Yellow promotes energy and feelings of uncertainty, combined, it leads to feelings of anxiety and nervousness.
Like green, yellow is also linked and associated to the emotions of jealousy and envy.
The color yellow has associations with cowardice, “Yellow Bellied”.
Shades of Yellow
Light Yellow – Linked to fun, joy, upbeat, energy and clarity of mind.
Dark Yellow – Associated with poor health, jealousy, criticism, cynical and unclean.